Friday, July 18, 2008

July 5th, 2008

Well, the move went relatively smooth. The biggest problem was getting all my furniture moved... I think I need to get a U-Haul truck next time... I didn't realize I had so much crap. If I move out of state, the only thing I'm considering keeping is my bed and TV. Seriously. If I go anywhere I can find a new couch or other furniture. Especially if I have a yard sale or something before I move, if I move. Maybe I'll take my dishes and stuff too... Hmm... I was talking to Mickie Wednesday and she was joking that I had as much stuff as a married couple. :) I thought that was pretty funny but it really is true... Well, besides the fact that my bed is made for only one person. And I don't have any matching "love towel" sets with her/my initials embroidered on them. I also decided that I think I enjoy not having a dresser. It's not very convenient when I'm trying to find places to put my clean clothes but I think there is a trade-off I'm willing to take when it comes to moving... Who wants to move a dresser?! They're awkward, heavy and generally the drawers fall out when you're lifting them and smack you right in the knee, if you're lucky. I'd rather live my "bohemian life" by throwing my clean clothes in the corner. I stack the clean clothes nicely so I can usually tell the clean one's from the dirty ones, although it's not a fool-proof system yet. I need to work on using different corners but old habits die hard, you know? ;)
I haven't been able to test out the pool yet but from what I can see, it's good. It's not as good as the pool at the parent's house but who can beat that?! Speaking of which, Krista and children came over to the pool to go swimming. I think my mom had the most fun because she's hungry for some grandchildren. :) She was really sweet and made us all a small lunch between swim sessions. Maryanne and Isabelle loved the pool so much that we were hard pressed to get them out of the pool. Krista almost had to resort to disciplinary action because they wanted to stay so badly. My patience was wearing thin but Krista kept everything in stride and eventually got everyone out and where they needed to be. I guess that's why I'm not a parent yet and she is. I have so much that I don't know but I hear it's a learn-as-you-go thing. What happens if your child is FUBAR-ed after you're done? Do you get to put them back in the oven and try again?
I'm at work writing all this. I have only gotten about 4 calls since I started my shift... All of which ended quickly. I've already read today's paper and thought moving onto other productive activities would be more rewarding that falling asleep and drooling on my keyboard. So this one time in college (sorry, I was reminded of this and have to share the story) I was in my ITW class (Intellectual Traditions of the West) and the professor was awful... I don't know if you've ever read Livy. I like Livy. But have you ever been read Livy in a monotone voice when you've already read it the night before because that was what was assigned? Needless to say, I was bored out of my mind. Because I wasn't exactly on a regular sleep schedule either (it's college, you know how it is. And it was my 1st semester so I was gung-ho about studying, doing extra group study sessions, etc.) I started dosing off. You know, when you're trying to focus on what is being said but then your vision gets blurry but then snaps back to full focus and all your concentration goes to keeping your eyes focused because you know that if they lose focus again, they might not re-focus? Then, the room went black and I felt myself falling. SMACK! Faceplant into my desk at maximum velocity and remember, this is in the middle of the professor reading Livy with a class size of maybe, 30 students. Good news is the hot girl behind me offered to give me her notes for the day. She was really sweet and was the spitting image of that girl from the movie clueless. I don't know the actress' name, if you can call her an actress. More like, youth pop-icon put into the lime-light because she looked good on camera. ;) But back to the story... Where was I? Oh, yeah. Hot girl. REALLY hot girl. Then, another time I fell asleep in the same class, same professor, different text. Anyway, hot girl kicked me to wake me up from behind and when I sat up my paper was stuck to my mouth because I had been drooling a bit.
So enough of my college blunders. :) ...well, for now at least. I'm sure that a few more stories will trickle down into these digital pages... So the 4th of July was yesterday. It was a great day, all in all. First, Krista came over to watch a movie at the new apartment. She said the thing she missed most about the old place was the fact that I had surround sound set up for my movies. I don't have all the room I had before so I don't know if I'll be able to set something like that up again... No harm in trying, I guess. Anyway, we watched Hide and Seek. Scared her so bad she almost cut my hand in two pieces squeezing it during the scariest parts. But I didn't mind to much because I fell asleep for most of the movie anyway. I can't wait to get on a more regular schedule for work. That also means 60 hrs a week but I'm sure I'm going to love every moment of it. I mean, who wouldn't want to work at a record label?! Maybe Hitler or Stalin. But they sucked as people anyway. Tools...
After my nap and the movie, Krista headed out and I left for Paul's place for a BBQ. Some of the best ribs I've ever tasted. We had a smoker for the meat, using mesquite wood for that rich, West-style cooking, onion glaze with BBQ sauce... Mmmm... I think I just made myself hungry... We decided to make it a karaoke night of it too which was great because we had about 9 or 10 singers there so the rounds went by quickly and were sometimes non-existant when people got distracted. I accidently left my rice there so I'm going to have to go back sometime this week. Rice is my staple food. Sometimes I really think that I should have been born on the other side of the world where rice is more of a staple... After, I went down to Kilby Court and met up with this married girl and her husband that I had met the night previous. We set off fireworks and just hung out until late. They were a chill bunch of people so I'm probably going to go hang out with them again. Hooray for Mary and her husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment